Saturday, January 29, 2011

Mom Network


When I first became a Mom, I had quite a few good friends that were already Moms.  I thought we would spend tons of time together, but what I did not know what distance and age play a huge factor in the amount of time you can sometimes spend with other Moms.

The closest stay-at-home Mom friend was 25 minutes drive away, one friend was almost an hour (and we still lived in the same city).
So getting together for that critical infant play date (I say this with so much sarcasm, because we all know that the play ate is actually a coffee-I-want-to-talk-to-adults play date for Mom), was much harder than I imagined.
Little Girl at the time was a great napper, she would wake up in the morning, be awake for 1 ½ - 2 hours, then back down for a nap, this continued all day, until bed time.
This made it super hard to get out of the house and get a play date in there.

(Little Lady and I when she was about 1 month old) 

The other thing I did not realize was age.  Babies nap at such different times as they start to grow, and naps are the be-all-end-all of when you can and can’t have a play date.

I needed Mom’s that lived close and had a child the same age as mine.

My solution:
I found some great Mom friends through a class offered by the Alberta Health Services called Baby and Me.  There were 5 of us that stuck it out through the whole 6 or 8 week class, and after, we got together for walks, coffee and play dates.


We still get together (all those children are about to celebrate their 4th birthday).

Another great place I found a Mom network was on meetup.com.  There are some great Calgary Mom’s groups that are free to join and there are always lots of events planned.

What about you, did you have a built in Mom Network, or did you have to go out like me and actively seek out and get to know other Moms so you could keep yourself sane.

Where did you find your Mom Network?

No comments:

Post a Comment