Tuesday, August 07, 2012

On My Nightstand - Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons



Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons - By Lorna Landvik
Source: Borrowed book from a friend (396 pages)

On the back cover:
The women of Freesia Court are convinced that there is nothing good coffee, delicious desserts, and a strong shoulder can’t fix.  Laughter is the glue that hold them together – the foundation of a book group they call AHEB (Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons), and unofficial “club” that becomes much more.  It becomes a lifeline.  Holding on through forty eventful years, there’s Faith, a lonely mother of twins who harbors a terrible secret that has condemned her to living a lie; big, a beautiful Audrey, the resident sex queen who knows that with good posture and an attitude you can get away with anything; Merit, the shy doctor’s wife with the face of an angel and the private hell of an abusive husband; Kari, a wise woman with a wonderful laugh who knows the greatest gifts appear after life’s fiercest storms; and finally, Slip, a tiny spitfire of a woman who isn’t afraid to look trouble straight in the eye.

This stalwart group of friends depicts a special slice of American life, of stay-at-home days and new career, of children and grandchildren, of bold beginnings and second chances, in which the power of forgiveness, understanding, and the perfectly timed giggle fit is the CPR that mends broken hearts and shattered dreams.


My thoughts:
I read this book years ago back when it first came out, back before I had kids or was even married, back before I was in a book club (or two), so when this book was picked for one of my book clubs, I knew I had to read it again.

Although I remembered a lot about the book, I did not remember quite a few of the details, so it was very much like I was reading it for the first time, and also my life is so much different than it was back when I read it for the first time. 

I remember reading this book and really wanting to join a book club, I actually spoke to a few friends about starting one, but the interest just wasn’t there.  This time I am in 2 book clubs, but none of mine have the same bond that Landvik describes in this book, I would love to have friends that I was that close with and also lived close to.

This is a fun summer read type book.   There are a few twists and turns but the book is pretty predictable, but it also makes for a great beach read.

I loved it and will probably read it a third time a few years from now.

My rating: 4 ½ out of 5.

1 comment:

  1. What kind of book clubs do you belong to? I have been searching out one for ages now. I joined one a while back and it was SO disorganized that it didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete