Monday, January 21, 2013

52 Cookies - Chunky Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies



This cookie comes to us from the Nestle Toll House Best-Ever Cookies cookbook.
I have owned this cookbook for quite a while and I make their chocolate chip cookie recipe as my standard but I haven’t tried a lot of other recipes yet.
The overall rating on this cookie is more positive than negative but you will notice one major trend, everyone wanted more peanut butter in this cookie.
 
I did make a few minor changes:
The original recipe called for 2 cups of chocolate chips – I dropped it down to 1 ½ cups because there was a good chocolate chip ratio at 1 ½ cups – add more if you want, but I don’t think you need the full 2 cups.
 
The original recipe also said to bake them for 7-10 minutes – mine were nowhere near ready at 7 minutes and although I probably could’ve taken them out at 10 minutes, I wanted them to have a bit of colour – but I also got asked if they were a bit over cooked by one person.




At Home Panel:
Little Girl: Yummy; It tastes like peanut butter inside and chocolate chips!  I like the whole flavour; it was delicious!
100 out of 5 stars
Little Boy: I like chocolate chip and peanut butter.
A billion out of 5 stars
Hubby: A little heavy on the chocolate chips, there is a small hint of peanut butter but the chocolate outweighs it.  Needs more peanuts and peanut butter.
4 out of 5 stars
Me: A good cookie but the peanut butter is lost.  I like the added crunch of the chopped peanuts but it felt more like a chocolate chip cookie instead of a peanut butter cookie.
3.5 out of 5 stars
 
At Work Panel:
Andy: Really good.  Really sweet and yet moist – I hate dry cookies.
4 out of 5 stars
Brent: Needs more peanut butter – about 30% more.  A little too dry, good chocolate chip balance.  It’s a confused cookie – it’s not chocolate chip, and it’s not peanut butter – but it is trying to be both.  Tasty, just needs more peanut butter.
3 out of 5 stars
Sandee: Good but too crisp.  I like softer cookies.  Needs more peanut butter; I like the lots of chocolate chips.
3.5 out of 5 stars
Sarah: These cookies are a solid 5 out of 5.  Nice balance of sweet and salty… and I was glad they were moderately soft.  Well done!
5 out of 5 stars
Bryce: It has more of a peanut butter after taste than a real peanut butter taste.  A little too sweet for me.
3.5 out of 5 stars
Shani: Needs more peanut butter, I like the crunch, but it is unratable because it is lacking one major ingredient – peanut butter.
 
Overall rating: 3.8
Even though I explained to the kids how a 5 star rating goes, they did not quite get it and I laugh everything I think about their answers.
We had cookies for dessert the following day and they wanted me to write down their thoughts again about the cookie, this is going to be a fun year and I feel sorry for anyone that gives them a cookie after we have done a few more months of this.
Chunky Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies
Source: Nestle Toll House Best-Ever Cookies book


1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¾ cup butter, softened
½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup creamy peanut butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cups chocolate chips
½ cup coarsely chopped salted peanuts


Preheat oven to 375 F.
In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
Using a stand mixer, cream the butter, white sugar, brown sugar and peanut butter until soft and fluffy.
Scrape down the sides and then add in the egg and vanilla. Once incorporated, slowly add the flour mixture and mix until combined.
Mix in the chocolate chips and peanuts with a wooden spoon.

 Drop onto parchment lined baking sheets in rounded tablespoons (I used a 2 tablespoon scoop). Flatten slightly with a fork and bake for 10-12 minutes until edges are set but centres are still soft.
Cool on baking sheet for 4 minutes before removing to cool on a wire rack.


Yield: 3 dozen cookies.



1 comment:

  1. Your kids ratings out of 5 literally made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete