Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Spicy Sausage Pasta

If I am lucky I can walk through the front door with the kids just before 5 pm and I know for a lot of working parents that is living in a dream world but for me it is still on the late side.

You see once we walk in the door, I have to deal with the dog, change out of my work clothes, get a snack for the kids, make dinner and be sitting down to eat all within 45-60 minutes.

So you can imagine that one dish meals on a week night are one of my best friends.

This dish did not disappoint.  I used a spicy petite cut tomatoes as I indicated so it had some kick, but you could use a non-spicy version if you are not a fan of spice.
Anyway, it was good, easy and fast.

 
Spicy Sausage Pasta
 
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb. sausage, raw & sliced
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 can (540 ml) petite cut tomatoes*
8 oz. (2 ½ cups) raw fusilli pasta
½ cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 green onions, thinly sliced

In a large skillet or pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat.  Add the sausage and onion and cook until lightly browned 3-4 minutes.  Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds stirring to make sure it doesn’t burn.  Add in the chicken broth, canned tomatoes, pasta, cream, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally until pasta is done.

Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of the cheese.
Serve with remaining cheese and sliced green onions.
 
*I used Spicy Red Pepper – but you could use any type you like.

Source: Modified from Kevin & Amanda.

No comments:

Post a Comment