Monday, January 28, 2013

Soft Ginger Cookies - #52cookies


I have some very fond memories of soft ginger cookies; to me they are a cold winter, comfort food cookie.  Now I am sure I could have called my Mom and had her dig through her recipes to maybe find the one from my childhood, but instead I scoured the internet for one that sounded good and I thought would bring back some memories.

Now the interesting thing about this cookie is that it was not good warm.  It was too soft and gooey and it actually stuck in your teeth, but cold, well that is a different story – so different in fact that I had Hubby try one again the next day and allowed him to revise his earlier opinion of the cookie.

This cookie pairs very well with a cup of tea or coffee – it’s not really a dunkable cookie because it is so soft, but it is yummy and has just the right flavour to pair with coffee or tea.

At home panel:

Little Girl:  Gingery; so sprinkly; gummy in my teeth (eating it warm); sugary.
6 out of 5 stars (We might need to work on that a little still.)

Little Boy: yummy; sprinkly; brown.
2 out of 5 stars (Not sure he understands this either since he kept asking for more.)

Hubby: (Trying it warm) Too gummy, sticks in your teeth; I don’t really like them but I will eat them because they are sweet and cookies
1 out of 5 stars

Hubby: (Trying it the next day cold) Much better today, too crunchy with all the big sugar crystals, not bad.
3 out of 5 stars

At work panel:

Brent: Damn good!!! Chewy, I like chewy.  Good flavour.  This would go even better with a coffee, can I have another one, I need to go and get a coffee now.
4.7 out of 5

Sandee: Ohhh, I like the softness; too much sugar on top, the one I tried rolled in regular sugar I liked better.  Perfect consistency, perfect ginger balance.
4.5 out of 5 stars

Barb: Mmmmm, I would make these and feed them to my family, nope, I would eat them all myself!  I like the sugar is crunchy and the cookie is soft.
4 out of 5 stars

Sarah: Too much molasses; not enough salt; good softness.
3 out of 5 stars
 
Bryce: Too much sugar, good consistency, nice and soft, good amount of ginger.
4 out of 5 stars

Andy: Really good; moist & sugary.  My favourite so far.
4.5 out of 5

Amber: Perfect, buttery.  I like that they are not over molassesy or gingery.  I like the sugar texture. 
5 out of 5

Overall rating: 4.0 out of 5


 Soft Ginger Cookies
 
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
¼ cup molasses
Sugar for rolling*

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Whisk together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
Using a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until soft and fluffy.  Add in the egg, water and molasses, scrape down the sides and beat until well combined.  Then slowly add the flour mixture and mix until fully incorporated.
Form walnut sized cookies and roll them in sugar.
Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.  Removed from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes on the sheet before removing to a wire rack to fully cool.

*I used a coarse decorator’s sugar for rolling and although a few people liked the crunch it provided (and it is much prettier) the overall feeling was the cookies were better rolled in regular white sugar.

Yield: 2 ½ dozen cookies.

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment