Thursday, January 12, 2012

Sweet Potato Fries

I came accross this recipe while watching the show Eat, Shrink & Be Merry with Janet & Greta Podleski.
I love their show, if you have never seen it, you can catch them on the Food Network, but they challenge local popular chefs and their signature dishes to make a healthier version.
I have no idea who they were challenging in this episode, but they made burgers and fries.
The fries they made, they called Yummy Yammy Fries - so they used yams.  The orange vegetable people often refer to as sweet potatoes.
I took their recipe, kept the spices the same, but changed the vegetale.  Instead of yams, I used sweet potatoes, and honestly, I think they are better this way.
You be the judge, try this recipe both ways if you like and let me know which one is better.
These are super delish, not hard to make at all, and wonderful along side almost anything!

Sweet Potato Fries
¼ cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese, small grate
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon paprika
¼ - ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
4 medium sweet potatoes (not yams)
3 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat oven to 450F.
Combine all the spices together in a small bowl (cumin, chili powder, paprika, chipotle chili powder, garlic powder and onion powder).
Peel the sweet potatoes and slice into French fry shapes, toss with olive oil in a large bowl, then toss with spices and Parmesan cheese.
Spread fries onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes, or until tender, turning once.
Cooking time depends on how thick your fries are.

Source: Modified slightly from Eat, Shrink & Be Merry


2 comments:

  1. sounds delicious...we use butternut squash and bake them...soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have all of the Podleski sister's cookbooks, and I love them all. They have such healthy recipes that taste great :) I make these fries all the time!

    ReplyDelete