Sunday, November 13, 2011

Epic Salsa Weekend

I love making salsa. I love eating homemade salsa even more.
Last year I got together with my sister and we made a double batch of salsa.  It was an entire day, but it involved some wine and we had a blast.
The only problem was we each only ended up with 36 jars of salsa (500ml). 
Did I mention I really like homemade salsa?
I rationed it – only some close friends and a few family members were brought into the elite group and were rewarded with a jar.
So this year, I find out my sister still has 12 jars left (how this is possible I have no idea), so I thought I would make the same double batch of salsa by myself.  You see my thinking was 70+ jars for myself and this would allow me to give a few more as gifts.
Did I mention that a double batch of salsa requires 80 pounds of roma tomatoes? 
Let me tell you, this was EPIC salsa weekend.
80 lbs of tomatoes
20 lbs of onions
16 green peppers
16 red peppers
And a lot of jalapenos
I started at the farmers market – and discovered better pricing for different items at different markets – so 2 farmers markets later- all done Thursday and Friday during my lunch hours.
Friday after work / evening – start chopping the peppers and onions (I know most normal people use a food processor, but I have never had one until this year, and did not think about it until I was almost done).
Saturday – chopping all morning – head out with the family in the afternoon – Saturday evening – peel and chop 40 pounds of tomatoes.
Sunday – cook the first batch and peel and chop the other 40 pounds of tomatoes.
Process all the jars.
Not only did I end up being extremely exhausted, have very sore feet, but I got 76 – 500 ml jars of salsa!
If you are really nice to me – I just might share a jar with you!


Jenny’s Salsa
40 pounds Roma tomatoes
10 pounds onions
8 red peppers
8 green peppers
4 bulbs of garlic
20 jalapenos
10 fresh red or green chillies
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups vinegar
1/2 cup pickling salt
1/4 cup dried chilli flakes
4 cans (156 ml each) tomato paste
Chop the onions, red & green peppers, set aside.
Mince the garlic.
Seed the jalapenos and fresh chillies, process in food processor.
Peel and chop the tomatoes.

Divide everything between 2 extremely large pots; add in brown sugar, vinegar, salt, dried chillies and tomato paste.  Stir to combine, and place over medium-high heat.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and continue to stir often.  Watch your heat, but you want to keep the salsa boiling.

Cook until it looks done – 45minute to an hour.

Ladle into sterilized jars and process in a water bath for 10 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Nice work! I have always wanted to make it. I tried yours last year, it was delish! :)

    ReplyDelete